Monday, March 30, 2009

Carter's Distal Radius Fracture

Carter fell while playing ball this morning and is going into surgery right now to have this repaired. He will not be throwing the discus or shot put in track this season. Keep him in your prayers. The radius is the larger of the two bones of the forearm. The end toward the wrist is called the distal end. A fracture of the distal radius occurs when the area of the radius near the wrist breaks. The break usually happens when a fall causes someone to land on their outstretched hands.

2 comments:

Berta Lewis said...

Oh, dear, Hawkeye. This is very bad news. I love the way you posted it, though -- very educational. Poor baby. How old is Carter? Dang, broken bones are tough. I know that he will get all the family love a kid could have. I add my love to everyone else, and I will offer prayers.

Love,
Berd

Melinda Hawkes said...

Looks like both bones are broken. Not good. However, it seems to be his left arm, which I would think is better for someone that is right-handed. I would also think that he could still participate in one-arm sports with his right hand(e.g. discuss and shotput). The fractures also appear to be outside of the growth plates, which is good for a young, growing man. Good luck Cart, you are in our prayers.