I'm so pleased you can be with us today for our Blog Cafe luncheon. For those of you joining us for the first time, each Monday we gather at a different blog-- our host blogger chooses a local hot spot where we meet, what we eat, and a topic of conversation. Please join in by leaving your thoughts in COMMENTS.
A dear friend and neighbor, Kent Anderson, just opened this new place last month and it has quickly become a favorite. Small wonder. The smiles begin the second we step inside.
Can you imagine anything more charming than sitting under a canopy of lemon trees?It is an especially treasured spot since this Mediterranean oasis is growing in a college & ski town almost a mile high in the Rocky Mountains.
Rooms are also available for private parties. Kent has thought of everything to make this dining experience a wonderful celebration of "insanely good" food and friends. And did I say it is very reasonable? It is very reasonable.
There are so many culinary delights on the menu, narrowing down our choices isn't easy.
My Darling Daughter and her Dear Friend are making the selections for us today.
We start with a rich, creamy mushroom soup and the potato-lentil soup. . . mmm. . .
. . . plus a couple of very tasty salads.
Your entree' is either the chicken crepes or . . .
. . .beef tenderloin in a semi-sweet glaze. Either way, you will be delighted.
Peter, Paul and Mary missed the mark when they sang about The Lemon Tree."Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat."
The lemon grove theme at this cafe extends beyond the decor to the dessert menu and, believe me, it is anything but impossible to eat. DD and DF said they HAD to have at least four. They created our own mini dessert bar so you can taste several of the heavenly things Kent can do with lemon.


Plus a little decadent chocolate, just because.
What a taste extravaganza!
What would a day "out" be without a stop at a shop? We're going to visit a little place that is just full of fun and fascinating trinkets. The girls will love it.
Just down The Avenue, the city restored this beautiful old academy that was built before the turn of the last century. Across the street from it is a building formerly known as the Women's Gymnasium which is now home to a Boutique. No photos allowed so when you are through browsing, we'll meet out in front.
The lovely lemon grove site for our Blog Cafe today is nestled along a river and woods with a river walkway and park. It is the perfect place for us to go to walk and talk.
Just up stream in the canyon, The Tree Room Author Series--"a way of engaging with some of the greatest writers and thinkers of today"--is featuring one of my favorite authors for brunch and a book signing on Dec. 11--Kathryn Stockett and her novel, The Help. I loved it. And the audio version features actresses who add Southern charm and warmth to the text.
Which brings me to our topic of dialog. Instilling traditions and expectations in our children is important. Guidelines for acceptable behavior are essential for a healthy society. Have you ever gone to a special event where children, teens or adults had not been taught company manners? Cultural mores help to make people more predictable. But as illustrated in The Help, some prejudices and fears are passed down from parent to child that are detrimental.When I was in school, we studied about some native American groups who a millennium ago enjoyed very advanced civilizations in the western hemisphere. After disease wiped out the majority of the populations, the young ones who survived did not have the knowledge or skills to live as their parents had. Subsequent generations subsisted at very primitive levels. What essential skills have you learned that the next generation is missing?
I am particularly grateful to my parents and grandparents for teaching me to have faith in God and for the richness it has added to my life. I am also glad they stressed courtesy to all, taking responsibility for my actions, and for the emphasis they placed on education. They did have some prejudices too though.
What behaviors were taught in your home that have helped you to be happy and successful? Were there some traditions that have proven to be harmful? If you have already read The Help, how do you feel about the guidelines for behavior taught in the book? Is there value in keeping distance between employer and employee in the workplace? Or is it more beneficial to be close friends? Share your ideas in COMMENTS.
10 comments:
Loved the lemon tree decor. I really wish I could taste the food. The chocolate cake looks amazing as well as the chicken crepes. I am heading to the library tomorrow and will check out The Help. I am fascinated with the subject material. Thanks for the virtual adventure. A very wonderful outing.
Great post! Beautiful photos! Everything looks so yummy and romantic! :) This post really has got me thinking... thank you! What a great topic to start off my morning too :) You ask a few question...ill do my best to answer all of them. Have I ever gone to an event where people have not been taught manners- I am guilty of this. I was not taught how to properly use a knife and fork, where to put my napkin, It was a very big awakening and I felt very embarrassed as my boyfriend looked at me with 'country bumpkin' eyes. (My first time in a really nice restaurant) After a good laugh from us, he taught me. But I would have rather been taught by my parents at an earlier age. (Im almost 23 btw.) I think my parents did the best they could raising us kids. they weren't raised very well themselves, so they did a good job of doing what they thought was best. Of course there are things my parents believe that I don't that i feel is harmful. I think this rising generation, my generation, is less prejudiced, we want equality for all- much like the 60's I believe my generation is taking a stance on what we believe is right. I hope that by the time my children are here they will live in a world of complete equality for men, woman, gay, straight, black, white, etc. We need to be peace to have peace. Did I go off? Hope not. Great post! xoxox
What a DELICIOUS & BEAUTIFUL outing--thank you! :o) I love that lemon tree in the restaurant... and the food... *SWOON* Some great topics of interest you bring up here. My parent raised my sister & I to be decent, kind, repectful, helpful, capable people. Their good example of how to be good people gave us much to go on. My husband & I don't have children. But we are fortunate to be aunt & uncle to several sweet young ones. I cannont help notice in young people today that they lack a certain respect for other people--other people's space, property, time, etc., as well as fixation on material things to gain happiness rather than focusing on inner values. Just observations. How to change that. We are all only repsonsible for ourselves, so we can only lead by example. :o) Thank you for a terrific post today , Jan!
Hi Jan! What a lovely new restaurant...now on my list of must-visits--and soon!
I loved the book "The Help". It's one of my favorites. I love how the author changes voices and writes as the different characters. I thought it was fascinating to learn about that time period from such a different point of view.
I think it's interesting to think about the behaviors and values that are passed from generation to generation. There are certainly improvements that have come over the years, but I also think we have to be careful not to reject VALUES that have been taught by our parents and that have been passed down. I think values never go out of style and are the core foundation for our behavior. And if we pass down our values, then bad behaviors and habits like prejudice etc. will be easier to change and get right.
Thanks for the great post and for hosting the Blog Cafe!
I am anxious to read "The Help" - my girls loved the book and it's next on the list to read. Your thoughts made me think - do we "put our best foot forward" - at least most of the time?? Someone once said "You never regret giving someone a compliment." Wouldn't it be nice to think wonderful things of everyone you meet. I think that is a big part of good manners - a lot of others things go unnoticed when we are cheerful and happy around all we meet. (Even if we aren't very happy with them at the time)
La Jolla Groves was so much fun and the food was wonderful. Company though was the best - thank you my friends.
Sue D said ... Hawkes is a great blog site. Beautiful restaurant info on decor and menu. Hope to visit soon. We're out of town most Mondays but hope to join the cafe outings.
What a wonderful restaurant/cafe. The food looked gorgeous and the lemon trees were stunning.
As for values- I think like most people I've adapted my own moral code -taken bits and pieces from various people. I don't think it's right for anyone to just blindly accept all the attitudes they inherit from their parents.
Times change and society evolves. If we didn't change then old wars could carry on for generation after generation. That can't be good.
I do wish I had been taught how to speak in public rather than being told that "children should be seen and not heard."
I just wanted to say how much I love your photos! This looks like a wonderful place to spend an afternoon, love the lemons in the restaurant!
My friend gave me "The Help" as a going away gift and it has been the highlight of my day reading it each night to escape the reality of packing and moving. As I make a pitstop waiting for my house to be move-in ready, I find myself in town able to go to the Cherry Lane boutique and anxious to dine under the Lemon Trees at La Jolla Groves. If the food and decor are anything like your photos, I will not be disappointed. Thanks for sharing.
Wow. Looks so good!
Post a Comment