1. decorating family graves.

Although I intend to visit graves throughout the year, Memorial Day actually gets me there. I enjoy the serenity and the memories of being there with parents and grandparents, as well as sharing the experience with children and grandchildren.2. celebrating family birthdays.
So far we have a dozen in June, which makes it seem like the party lasts all month long. What a great family tradition. Thanks to all you who chose to be born in June -- and July and August. Party on, Garth.3. frozen custard. I know it is possible to eat Coney's other times of the year, but it was made for summer. That goes for avalanches too (shaved iced with a scoop of ice cream.) So refreshing.
4. Freedom Festival.
What a great patriotic celebration. I am a sucker for patriotic celebrations anytime, but they bring this extravaganza right to my back yard. I love the Air Force fly overs, the fireworks, the glow in the dark necklaces, the parade floats, the inspiring music, flags waving throughout the neighborhoods and everyone dressed in red, white and blue. I also like all the talk about family history stuff.5. cul-de-sac sparklers and fireworks on the 4th and 24th. The grandkids get a kick out of all the sparkle and bang, and I get a kick out of being together and watching them get a kick out of it.
6. eating garden fresh produce. Nothing says lovin' like somethin' from the garden. It has such a richness of flavor you don't get from the stuff in the produce section at the corner grocer's. And its great to be able to go outside and just grab a few squash or peas to go with dinner.
7. colorful flowers in the yard. It is fun to drive home from anywhere and see all the bright, colorful varieties of God's handwork blooming around the old homestead. It cheers me every time.
8. Weber cabin outings.
This is the original family cabin. My great grandma is on the far right and I think my grandma is in the doorway.
My grandma is in the back of the raft with the scarf on her head and these are her brothers and sisters.
Visiting at Aunt Beth's cabin. I love how my kids and grandkids enjoy the Weber. I only wish they could ride horses there like I did as a kid. Fun things to do there are fishing, rafting, seeing moose, hiking to the falls, tin foil dinners at the fire pit, and card games when it rains.9. family barbecues on the patio. That includes Mt. Airy hotdogs (burnt), watermelon, corn on the cob, garden tomatoes, home made ice cream, kids running through the sprinklers, watersliding down the hill, splashing through Powell's watering turn and gymnastic tricks on the tramp.
10. girls camp dinner & testimony meeting with the bishopric and their wives. This has become a summer highlight for me. It's just neat, that's all.
NEXT WEEK: 10 Jobs You've Had
1 comment:
Great list. I'm convinced that the raft in your picture is the actual raft that was there summer after summer when we went to the cabin as kids. Dad would always say not to expect it to still be there, and sure enough it was. That thing was invincible!
Post a Comment